Pre engineered steel has been on the rise in popularity for homeowners and commercial use due to its very attractive properties (cost effective, easy to construct, and lightweight). The best part is that steel is also mostly recycled and can also be recycled once again! Check out these amazing facts from the American Iron and Steel Institute about recycled steel.
Facts on Recycled Steel
- 80 million plus of all steel is recycled each year in North America.
- North America’s average steel recycling rate has been above 60 percent since 1970.
- Millions of tons of iron and steel are diverted from waste to recycled due to steel’s magnetic properties that make it the easiest material to separate.
- For every ton of steel recycled, 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone are conserved.
- Steel can be recycled again and again with no loss in strength.
- When steel is recycled, it saves the equivalent energy to power about 18 million homes for one year.
- More than 95 percent of the water used in North America to make steel is recycled.
- 14 million plus cars in North America were recycled in 2006
- One recycled car makes more than four steel utility poles.
- 95 percent of steel from demolition sites were recycled and made into new steel products in 2002.
- 100 percent of steel roofing can be recycled (asphalt – zero percent).
- More than 40 trees are used for a wood-framed home. Takes about four recycled cars for a 2,000 sq. ft. home. Steel framing is recyclable.
- 600 steel cans (tin) are recycled every second.
- When you buy steel, it is always recycled!
Steel has very much become a universal building material across the world. Many of the modern day marvels that people travel miles to see are built with steel which emphasizes the importance of recycling steel. Be sure to check back soon for more fun facts about steel, pre fabricated steel, metal buildings, and more.